NATIONAL VOLUNTEER WEEK | MEET SELWYN
Volunteers are an integral part of the Ashburton Art Gallery and since it is National Volunteer Week 16-22 June, we are taking the opportunity to celebrate these superstars!
From Visitor Host roles, to helping with catering at event openings, to assisting with our education programmes, and sitting as members on our committee we just wouldn’t be the same without our volunteers. We have a huge range of ages that work with us at the Gallery from 14 through to 80 years of age. They inspire us with their creativity, generosity, energy, and passion for the Gallery on a daily basis.
We will be releasing a series of quick, fun volunteer profiles on our website and Facebook for the community to get to know our volunteers better and to celebrate Volunteer Week.
Your Name: Selwyn Price
- How long have you lived in Ashburton? 1996-2003; 2015-present
- How many cups of coffee/tea do you drink a day? Tea, 6+
- If you could have one super power, what would it be? Teleporting
- What has been your favourite exhibition the Gallery has had so far and why? Mark Lander (c.2000) and the Water Project, but could include so many more.
- Tell us about the artwork that has had the most emotional/inspirational impact on you? The Arnolfini Portrait (1434) by Jan van Eyck, which I studied in considerable depth and pastiched several times.
- If you were a painter what would you style and medium be? Expressionist
- Describe your personality in five words? Dour, liberal with megalomaniac tendencies
- What’s your favourite book? “Still Life with Woodpecker” Tom Robins
- What is one item of clothing you will never throw out? Denim Jacket c.1979
- Where is your next holiday destination? Hong Kong
- Are you a cat or dog person? Dog
- What is the best present you have ever received? A choice of any piece of art from a former student’s final exhibition.